Floodplain and Stream Construction

Floodplain and Stream Construction Information Resources

The Division of Water is authorized through KRS 151 to manage development in floodplains.  Any type of development in, along, or across a stream requires a floodplain permit from the Division. Typical activities requiring a permit include, but are not limited to, residential & commercial structures, stream crossings, fill, stream alterations & relocations, and small stream impoundments.  State floodplain development requirements are outlined in 401 KAR 4:060 of the Kentucky Administrative Regulations.  
Apply for a state floodplain construction permit [432 KB].  Applications submission instructions are available here [130 KB].
Communities that participate in the NFIP are required to issue local floodplain permits in conjunction with state floodplain permits.  Talk to your local floodplain coordinator [582 KB] about community specific development requirements or about applying for a local permit.